Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

Shitty Parents

So, yesterday we had Aaron's company picnic.  I was running on very little sleep, a little hungover, and in pain  (long story, not getting into it).  It was hot and we were up in Poulsbo and at very nice little lodge.  It was actually really lovely, but I was so grumpy I had to work not to be a total bitch all day.  And other people's children weren't helping.

You know, the positive thing about watching so many of our (and the ones surrounding it)  generation fucking up their kids, is that it increases Jude's chance of having a good life; getting good grades, good teacher reviews, good interviews and jobs, even dates.  Other boys are going to look like serious cavemen in comparison to him.  No manners, no awareness outside of themselves and their pleasure.  I actually threatened some with physical injury, I kid you not.

Let me put this into perspective.  These were boys, all between the ages of probably 8 and 12.  they had squirt guns, which had been provided at a station meant to be used on the people in the dunk tank.  It was located right next to the path that led down to the docks and a lovely view of the water (also the smoking section off to the side, which mattered nothing to me).  If you wanted to go see the boats (Aaron's company makes them) you had to run the gauntlet.  These boys were soaking each other, not specifically anyone else, but the point is that they weren't paying attention to anyone but themselves.  So people were getting wet... and there were a number, like I, walking around with cameras.  And then there were the little kids scared to get to close because they didn't want to get wet either.  Now, the unintentional bratyness of these kids actually made it worse to me.  They weren't just being rude, they were being so and had no idea, and no parents around to care.

At one point I'd made it past them a ways and stopped to take a picture of this really cool driftwood and they come up behind me to hide behind a bush.  I looked and them and told them that if they got me wet I would injure them.  Yup, sure did.  They said, oh, we won't, we're getting him!"  Fine, but what they were not aware of was when that kid showed up they turned on each other... effectively putting me, and my camera on one side of the fight.  I didn't get wet, just a few sprinkles, but I sure as hell turned around and told them to knock it off.  Anyway, this went on, and on, and no one stopped them.  No parents regardless of how many people yelled out "HEY!" annoyed at getting wet.  Did I mention most (all but one) of these kids were of the Mexican variety?

I'm not racists.  Every group of peoples has at least one trait or social tick that pisses me off.  The older I get the more I realize that stereotypes exists for a reason.  And it's the individuals faults for paying into them and continuing them (and yes, I do know people that break them too, those are usually friends).  If Mexicans don't want to be thought of as the ones with the braty kids that are always running around like little wild animals at any group function, then they need to teach their kids better.  Or watch them better.  Period.  I use to work at a clubhouse and anytime we had them rent the space I knew that I was going to have to lay the smack down on the kids because they would be running around, getting into things and going places they were not supposed to be... and no adult was going to be paying them a lick of attention.

Now, here's my theory as to why.  As a culture there is very much a "village to raise a child" kind of mind set in that well, there's 50 adults around, one of them is going to notice if the kids do something wrong.  Right?.  Okay, yeah that works... unless EVERY ONE of those adults is thinking the same thing so NO ONE is watching at all.  That's what I've personally observed.  And vary rarely am I proven otherwise.

Now, as I said, every group has something that pisses me off, and it's only ever something that forces me to deal with the consequences.  I could care less if the above statement were true if I never had to live through the ramifications of it.  Nope, wouldn't care.  But I have, and yesterday, did.  Leash your mutts people.  Muzzle them too while you're at it.  I'm getting more vocal in my old age and am far more likely to lay into them now.

And if you're still thinking I'm racists, trust me, white kids piss me off in equal quantities, just for slightly different reasons.  Rich white kids because they often have parents that had them simply because that's what you do (marriage, house, baby) not because they wanted to be a parents, and therefore don't pay any attention to them.  They tend to be the intentionally mean ones.   White trash kids have a tendency not to have an understanding of personal belongings and space and will just start playing with your kids toys (often in your yard) without asking.  They get very confused when you try to explain to them why that's not okay.  Rich kids can do this too, but the differences is in attitude.  The rich ones feel entitled, the poor ones are use to things not belonging to them (the have to share everything with their siblings and such that nothing is actually theirs) so they don't understand.  It all just boils down to shitty parents really.

There's the rub.  Shitty parents.  They fall into every race, religion, country, and economic class.  And they are taking over and ruining the kids.  Such a shame.

On a positive note, Jude got to experience miniature golf, and he loved it.  He's asking me to go again as I type this because he can see the picture.  I love kids and their enthusiasm for pretty much everything.  Love it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I am continually saddened that so many of the people that I know that I think would be awesome parents are the ones that decide to focus on their career or something instead and just never seem to get around to kids, which just makes the overabundance of parents who never should have bothered more obvious. I love the pictures of your little man, too- he looks so serious as he's lining up that shot! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete