Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Almighty Paci

So, we are on countdown to a paci-free life.  I know we've let him hang on to it a little long to begin with, but even the dentists wasn't super concerned (so long as it was gone by three).  We've tried weaning him, but all it takes in getting sick and we give in and give it back full time.  It's really hard to deny your child something that makes them feel better when they're running a temperature.  And from there it's really easy to just ignore it.  I'll admit, we could have likely been more strict and it would have worked itself out sooner... but being the kind of  mom I am (a rules mom) it feels good to give in on something every now and again.

See, there's the rub.  I'm a rules mom.  If Jude does something wrong, we address it, even if nothing bad came of the event.  Like, let's say he throws a ball and almost clocks someone in the face.  The other kid's not hurt, doesn't even notice, but Jude saw what he did, so we talk about it.  Just for a minute.  Let him know that even though nothing happened, it could have, and that would have been a problem.  He doesn't get in trouble, he's just made aware of what he's doing and told to pay more attention next time.  Or if he takes a toy from another child but the other child doesn't care.  I still make him stop, give it back and if was forceful in the taking he doesn't get to play with it.  I hate when other parents are like "Oh, it's fine, so-and-so doesn't seem to care."  Fuck you, leave the parenting of my child to me.  I don't want to teach him that he can just take things even if the other person doesn't seem to care.  I want him to learn to ASK first, all the time.  There is no excuses for lack of politeness.

I think too many parents just ignore those things.  "No one got hurt" so they take the easy way out, for them, and just let things go on.  Mindless parenting.  Oh, and if you have to wring a thank-you out of your child, if I have to stand there and watch for five minutes while your child plays shy and won't say a simple thank you, get your kid out of my face.  My son says thank-you clear and with no hesitation, even when the person it's directed out isn't paying him attention, he still says it.

But I digress.  Back to the paci.  We're going cold turkey on his birthday.  We've talked about it with him, given him some warning, and that will be the day.  I'm not sure if we're going to do anything special.  I've heard a bunch of different ideas, but I don't know if any of them are right for Jude so we'll see.  One week from today.  I'm sure I'll be posting about it, lol.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you in your quest to be Paci free. I remember going through that with my kids and it's no picnic. My oldest was actually easier to break of it than the younger ones- My younger daughter knew it was coming and actually hid pacies around the house, so it was a month or more before I was sure we finally had all of them out of the house.

    ReplyDelete