Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

Own it, hone it, and love every minuet of it.

Oh dear, it is a restless sort of evening.  For me that usually means reading but lately I've been feeling that itch to write...

I was once told, by a well renowned psychic and respected dealer in the metaphysical arts, that I would write a book.  Or, she saw something to that effect.  The key with a good psychic is that they understand better than to interpret their visions too specifically.  I believe in true seers, so this is said with no disdain.  On the contrary, I totally dig true psychics.  A psychic's role is to tell you what they see at face value, not to tell you what they think it means (at least not without letting you know there are options and that it's an open interpretation).  I also believe that 95% of the people out there claiming to have a third eye are full of shit, so don't mistake me for a dupe.  I have only met one true psychic (a few with other, lesser, vibes), and I don't read my daily horoscope either (but I do own "The Secret Language of Birthdays", I'm a complicated person, deal with it).

Back to the topic at hand.  Writing.  Restlessness. {keep reading, it gets to the Momma message, I promise}

You know what is absolutely FANtastic about blogging?  I don't have to worry about proper grammar.  I pay attention, it's built in at my age, but I don't worry about it.  I can write run on sentences and I can write incomplete ones, and you know what?  It feels AMAZING!  I can randomly capitalize whole words to emphasize a point, like I just did, or I can use the often overused ... to let you know I'm leading up to something.  Wonderful, wouldn't you agree?  I love the freedom blogging gives us writers, the freedom those damn English professors never did.  Although I thank them for teaching me the rules, because you have to know the rules in order to break them with any amount of style.

I did have a point to hitting that "new post" link this evening.  This being my Momma  blog I did come here with the intent to talk about my son, or at least parenting in general.

I spent three of my evening hours tonight in a class designed to teach me how to be a better education/care provider.  Specifically when it comes to child guidance and dealing with challenging behavior... and no, I'm not in school in a Para-educator program, or Elementary Education one... I thought that was what I wanted to do once, but I was young and thought I liked other peoples children.  Now, not so much.  In fact, for the most part, I hate other peoples children.  This feeling began long before I had a child of my own, and it never killed my desire to have one of my own, it just killed my desire to educate them.  Want to know why?  Probably not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.  Ready for this?

It's an uphill battle.

Yup, that's it, right there.  As a society we do not give our teachers enough credit for what they do.  And some of them become bitter because of it, and they end up sucking at their jobs.  Can I fault them?  No.  Does that mean I want them to teach my child?  No.  It's kind of a double standard, but as a parent, when it comes to my child's education, I care not.

Oh boy, I'm sort of weaving on my topic here and I'm not entierly sure how to get back on track...

Uphill battle.  Teaching not for me.  See, when I realized that most parents pretty much suck at being parents I in turn realized that being a teacher often means attempting to fix someone else's mistakes... while they continue to make them.  How's that for a tough job, huh?  Think about your job for a minuet.  Think about the times you have to redo something because someone else messed up.  Now, think about having to do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.  Same mistake, new mistake, same job, on a different job, it doesn't matter.  It's super frustrating, and it makes you grow to hate the job.

Teachers are constantly having to re-teach your child (or your neighbors, or your brothers, or your friends) the proper way to behave.  I say behave because half, more than half, of an educators job is to teach your child how to interact with the world around them.  Let's face it, you aren't doing it (due to all manner of reasons, I'm not judging... oh, wait, yes I am...), and the TV sure as hell isn't doing it, so who's left?  The people that are often forced to cope with a child's behavior, their teachers.  The ones that spend seven to eight hours a day, five days a week with them.

Nope, it won't be me, because with the knowledge an educator has on child development (physically, psychologically, and emotionally) man, I'd end up bitch slapping more than one mother.  I have but a tiny portion of the education they have (Psych class on childhood development and Childhood Guidance for educators) and I can't help but realize that our society is going to hell due to our lack of proper parenting.

What the hell are we doing sending a mother to jail for disciplining her child?  And then making headlines about it?  Did she beat him?  Is there any sign of abuse?  Neglect?  Nope.  None.  And yet because of her trials and tribulations there are now even more parents out there scared to death of being prosecuted for punishing their children.  Does this mean I condone abuse?  Fuck no.  Don't be ridiculous.  Even spanking, for the most part and in most cases, I think it uncalled for, but even so it's not MY right to tell another parent what to do.  You know what my opinion is on the matter?  Education.  Surprise, huh?

If we find that spanking, a very long used and well understood practice, is bad (which for the most part, I do believe it's unnecessary), then teach them how to do it better!!!!  I'm a student, by nature and by practice, I know to look for answers when they're not readily given, but I'm an A student.  I don't mean to brag, I simply mean to say that the average person needs a bit more prompting.  So.... let's educate them!  Damn it, we have a ton of parents out there failing to give their children any kind of discipline because they've been told spanking is wrong (which is what most adults older than 30 were raised with) but have not not been told what to do instead.  And don't tell me "Time out" because that is ONE method and it does NOT work on all children, not even close.  If it works for you, you're lucky (I'm lucky, it works for us for the most part), but the rest are left wondering what else there is.

Parenting classes should be more easily accessible.  Taking one should not be considered a fault, like the individual has some deficiency.  Do you feel bad when you take a class on painting because you want to become a better painter?  Are you embarrassed to take a cooking class to hone your kitchen skills?  Do you avoid mentioning to family that you're taking an literature class simply to better your life experience?  No.  So why should you feel embarrassed, or hesitate, to take a class that will make you a better parent?  Is the art, food, or literature more important than your child?  Oh, HELL NO.  If anything, you should feel proud to say that you have a desire to become better at the most important job you could possible be given, that of a parent/guardian.  Own it.  Hone it. And love every minuet of it.


Photo is my friend Lana and her son Owen.  She is one of the best and most inspirational Momma's I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment