Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cone of Slience

I'm a bit unsure as to how to begin this post.  I have two totally connected, and yet totally different ideas on my brain.  The first is the experience of taking Jude to see a live performance of one of his favorite (and one of my own as well) children's shows.  Which was The Imagination Movers, who, by the way ROCK, I'd throw my panties at them (metaphorically speaking, ahem, of course).  If you have not yet checked them out I highly recommend them.  They are fun, energetic, they teach all about problem solving (which if you understand anything about children is a very, very, very important skill to teach) and they don't drive parents crazy.  Quite the contrary, they sort of make us wish we'd thought of it, and you won't mind it if their songs get stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

"The Imagination Movers" is a show aimed at young children that is designed also to not turn off the adults, like say... The Wiggles do.  Sorry, maybe it's because I'm not British, or maybe it's simply because I need a little more style in my childrens programing, but The Wiggles creep me out.  I don't like them.  And they're annoying and the songs suck.  Adults have to listen to this stuff too.  Don't get me wrong, I sing the five little monkeys song with my boy and he thinks it's great, but I don't need a band to do that.  I don't need a tv show to do that.  If I'm going to take the time to watch a kids show (and when I get to THAT post, the one on TV and kids, it will be a far larger post, trust me), then I want them to do something I can't do.  Being able to do the ittsy bittsy spider in technicolor should NOT make you a tv star in my book.  I can do that just fine on my own, thank you.  Give me more, give my child more.

Anyway, I'm going to get off track again.  I have a tendency to do that if you haven't already noticed.  Yeah, I can be a bit of a rambler, but at least I make it interesting,

Taking Jude to see the live performance was AWESOME.  His wonder at seeing those TV stars mere feet from him, having them wave *at him, feeling like he was connecting with them, was something I can't put a price tag on.  He talked about it for hours afterward, mentioned them when we put him to bed, and called me in afterward to tell me he would like to see them again (which in Jude speak is "Magiantion Movers again please?").  It's brings to mind pulling out my Tim Noah record (yup, I am indeed old enough to recall vinyl) with it's signed jacket and thinking I was so cool for having met him in person and having him write a message to me using MY name.  How amazing is it to get to pass along these experiences to our children?!

The other thing on my mind is really just a few sentences that passed between Aaron and I this evening.

We're heading up to Ikea tomorrow with Jude's Grandma, Aaron's mother, and Aaron mentioned that his brother had offered to watch Jude for us.  We both paused, not out of trepidation over his brother watching him, no, that's not a worry.  We both looked at each other, and Aaron says... "I kind of want him to come with us." to which I replied "Me too."  I turned to Jude, standing right next to me and said to him "Oh my, what are we thinking?  We actually WANT our child around?!  Oh no!  What are we thinking?!" or something to that effect, and he giggled, and grinned, and it made me stop to think about it.  There ARE parents out there that would happily take any offered opportunity to have their child watched by someone else.  We don't feel that way.  For the most part, unless it's something that's simply not appropriate to take Jude too, or if it's that once every couple of months we need a date night for us to reconnect.... we like having our kid around.  Most of my friends are the same way as us, which is maybe why I don't often stop to dwell on the issue, but the majority really aren't.   Is it any wonder our kids are turning out the way they are?  That our society is where it is?  Our world?

We have these amazingly precious little resources on our hands.  These gems that can't be picked out of the rocks or panned in some stream, that can only be created when two people choose (for the most part... let's not deviate into the scary areas right now) to come together in the most intimate and vulnerable ways possible (again, assuming normal, non-scary copulation).  Even a one night stand can fit this bill, so don't give me any crap about that sort of thing.  It's still a choice to engage in an act that has the potential to produce a biological wonder.  Sadly that does mean that they ability to have them is given to nearly everyone and that means there's no regulation on making sure they go to those that truly want or deserve them... which is just depressing when I stop to think about it.

I wanted my child.  We, Aaron and I, both talked about it, chose the time frame to start TTC, and entered into the parenting world with the knowledge that we were taking on a huge responsibility.  Not just to our child, but to the world.  Yup.  I'm not saying that to imply that we've created, or expected to create, some genius of some fashion or another.  I'm saying that because every human being out there that chooses to have a child (again, I'm talking about the norm, not the scary dark places right this moment) takes on the responsibility of raising a productive, useful, socially beneficial, emotionally stable member of society.  And this includes those with children born with deficiencies, or issues, because everyone can find a place, or can be helped to find a place, in which they fit.  The world isn't black and white, so there are niches for everyone, so long as they are given the best possible opportunity to find that niche.  Many of our greatest minds and talents suffered from some form of mental illness or developmental challenge, so I don't want to hear that excuses either.

I'm not saying that you should expect your child to be the next Einstein, I'm just saying that you should never underestimate your child's ability simply because they've been diagnosed with something.

And this is a deviation from my initial thought.  Pardon, I'm very tired and the lap top is running out of battery power, so I'll wrap this up.

Jude has far out shined any possible expectations I had going into parenting.  He's taught me more in two years than I thought possible (including patience which I didn't think anyone could teach me) and has made me a better person, a person I actually like a lot more, go figure.  Having him around for the most mundane tasks makes them interesting again, fun again, and brings wonder into the silliest of activities.

Oh, although, when I'm trying to study Business Law, or write on essay on the role of reputation in Shakespeare's Othello... I could really use a cone of silence... just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment