Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Epic Love

Let me ask you a question.  What do you hope for your child/children?  What do you wish for them?  Out of everything you've learned of life and how it stacks the deck, what is it you WANT for your child?  I ask because I dream big for my boy, but there is only one consistent hope I come back to.  Knowledge, beauty, fame, fortune... to me all of that is fleeting.  It can come and go; ebb and flow; as easily gotten as taken away.  For me, the one answer that has ever remained is this:  I wish for my boy an epic love.

Yup.

Romeo and Juliet style, just without the death.  I want him to know what true love is.  Epic, consuming, pure.  I want him to want to find his best match in spite of modern times and the ever widening pool of possibilities.  When the world is small it's easy to believe you've met "the one" and be happy.  In modern times with things like the internet offering up this endless buffet of "love" and match making it's a wonder anyone can even believe is soul mates.  You may think that's contradictory; that you have an even better chance of finding "the one" thanks to this allowance of cross continent connection.  I say bah to this.

I think that "soul mates" is a dream.  I think happiness is simply finding someone that you fit well with, not perfectly, because no such thing exists.  I once wrote a paper on the "glass slipper ceiling" (totally the title, English teachers LOVE me) and how women are sort of raised to expect a perfect prince charming and how that effects us in so many negative ways and prevents many from ever finding happiness in life.  I was 20 at the time... wise beyond my years... which is why I didn't really date much back them, or ever.

Anyway, this links back to having a child in that I want him to be "Jude" and find his "Lucy".  If you get the movie reference you get it and probably understand a little better why I chose that name... call it a hope of self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have only ever been in love with one man.  Crazy huh?  I've loved others, don't get me wrong, but loving and being in love are two separate things.  I'm not saying I didn't' have the potential to fall in love with other men, I intentionally prevented myself from doing so... and that is a post for the private journal.  I'll move on.

Jude is bound to make me proud in so many ways.  He is very smart, he appears to have decent (if not great) talent in a few different areas but time will draw him down one path or another and focus him (or so I can hope), he's driven and very focused over-all... I just hope, pray, focus positive vibes, on him having an EPIC love.  Epic is the key word here.  I want him to feel that life is about that love, that everything begins and ends with that person (within reason... no suicide pacts or anything).  This could be someone he meets in Paris when he's 25, or in Washing when he's 45, or even someone he meets now at 2 1/2 and that loves grows out of friendship.  Although I hope earlier than later so he can really enjoy it...

More than fortune or fame, that is what I want for my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment