Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

Eagle Eye

So, are you enjoying my little blog posts?  I enjoy posting them, so really it's of no consequence.  I get the feeling they're just enough information to keep you coming back for more; just enough wit and wisdom, just enough sarcasm and foul language, just enough details to make you wonder.  I like that idea.


Jude's back on a Cars kick.  Go figure.  The upcoming release of the 2 movie has these little guys featured EVERYWHERE and Jude has an eagle eye that can spot one on the smallest amount of packaging on the store shelf.  It's can be an inch wide and ten feet away, but he'll point it out... which means you spend three mins trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about and then another three being impressed with his eyesight and ability to identify things.  I'm not at all worried about his eyesight or his intelligence.

Oh, I'm super excited for summer, not least of all because it means no late classes or homework which means we can get Jude onto an earlier schedule of bedtime.  I have no desire to sleep our days away so it's going to be early to bed and early to rise for us for the next few months... longer if FA doesn't come through and I can't attend classes in the fall... long story.  Grumpy story.  Back to Jude.  I got him up earlier today after fighting him on sleep last night.  I have no idea why but lately he's taking hours to fall asleep at night.  We haven't switched up any other part of his schedule so I'm not sure what he's up to.  I'm hoping that I can get him to nap earlier today so he'll go down easier tonight.  Children can be a real mystery sometimes though so all I can do is hope.

I just realized I never updated on Jude's last doc. apt.  Silly me.  I took him in to really talk to the doctor about his legs, specifically his left and it's more pronounced curvature due to his being a breach baby.  As he's getting more active we've noticed that it creates a pigeon toe and causes him to trip himself when he gets going to quickly or is just walking sloppily.  It makes me sad because I constantly have to tell him to "watch your feet" and to slow down.  I hate it, I hate that he can't just take off and run this his little friends.  Given, most toddlers are a little sloppy and fall down on a regular basis, but not as much as Jude and not for the same reasons.

Anyway, anytime we brought it up with the doctors they sort of shrugged it off and told us he'd grow out of it.  It never felt like they were taking us seriously so I made an apt. specifically for it so they knew I wanted it addressed more directly.  We saw Dr. Daniels, who I like.  She never talks down to us, always lets us know that our concern is valid, but also reassures us and explains everything.  She took a good look at him, had him walk and run to her, examined his legs.  His tibia is curved but since he's still growing his body is still working to correct it.  It'll take time and in the mean time he'll trip, a lot, but his bone is being "told," so to speak, to straighten and the more he's running around and walking the more pronounced the message will be.  Makes sense.  She also told me that in the past something like this would have found him in a brace or corrective shoes, but we simply don't do that anymore.  There are studies done on the children from the 50's and 60's that had those devices and those that "should have" but never did due to inability to afford, or just because they wouldn't wear them.  There is no difference in them as adults.  The rate of success with bone straightening is equal in both groups.  The study was done in Seattle, I came home and looked it up.  I wanted to read it for myself, he's my baby after all, I want to make the best and most informed decisions concerning his health.

So, now I feel better.  I feel like the issue was addressed and given significant attention.  I don't feel like the doctor was trying to placate me.  I feel more informed on the subject and while I hate that Jude is going to just have to deal with it, it's not something he's likely to remember when he's older.  It may make him more cautious over all, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The boy does tend to be a little unaware when he's walking or running, so he could afford to pay a little more attention to his surroundings, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment