Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hm

I could never be a single parent.

Nope.

I mean, I suppose I'd figure it out if I HAD to, but I did my best to avoid that scenario on purpose.  I don't understand girls that sleep around and especially those that aren't smart about it.  Mistakes happen, but some people are just retarded and stack the deck against themselves.  The chances of a relationship that is less than a few years old (meaning you've had some time to test it) lasting through a pregnancy and the first two years of the child's life are slim to nil (and the younger you are the slimmer the chances).  The statistics exist, hell, just ask about half your friends these days, you're bound to know a good handful of single mothers personally.

I do not get down on my single parent friends.  In fact, for the most part, I admire them.  Not a one of them is overly thrilled at being a single parent (which means they acknowledge that they put themselves into a difficult situation, and has nothing to do with their love for their child) but have handled it well.  Of course, my friends are not the average trashy sluts you find that are the current majority of single mothers, so the foundation was far better to begin with.  Meaning, if they had a choice they know they would not have chosen to go into parenthood alone (or in a manner that was likely to end with them alone at some point or for any decent length of time).

I am not cut out for that.  Jude has taught me a TON of patience, something I've always lacked, but I still do not have the reserves it would take to be without a partner in crime.  Even so, I have weeks where Aaron is working a bunch, rehearsing a bunch, playing shows and going to shows a bunch and I'm left with extremely little help... I want to cry, throw things, lock the kid in his room and trash Aaron's personal possessions out of sheer frustration and lack of assistance.  I have self-control and usually just resort to letting the TV babysit Jude so I can get some down time, or imbibing a few glasses of wine once he's out for the night... or asking Marko to come rescue me (for those that don't know, Marko is my Godfather and one of my best friends).  Sometimes just having another adult around to talk to and to help occupy Jude for a bit is a lifesaver.

Why is this on my mind?  I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment