Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Love You

How often do you tell your child that you  love them?  I'm curious as to what the average is for something like that.  I mean, I know that I'd fall above the average for the simple fact that there are a ton of parents out there that don't say it often enough and that would pull the average down... but I wonder how far.

I say it to Jude... 20 times before lunch I'd estimate, easily.  I just look at him, or he says something, and the sentiment just bursts out of me.  I can't help it.  My mother taught me to always tell those I love that I do indeed love them.  Never rely on mere actions, always use words as well (notice the "as well"?  Yeah, actions are still very important in the deal).  She wasn't told it often enough so she made sure we knew it's importance.  "Me too" and "Ditto" do NOT count either.  That's a cop out used by people that don't have the balls to own up and use the real words, or are too lazy to do so, either way, it's not acceptable.

Growing up though I discovered the other side to this sword of truth; NEVER use it when you don't mean it.  See, it's twofold.  So Jude will be raised with both aspects of that sentiment easily understandable.  He hears it ALL the time, and he never balks at it.  He'll say it back or he'll go "Awwwww" and hug us, or give us a kiss.  I don't want him to feel it's a requirement that he always reply with the same, only when he means it.  Besides, I never say it expecting it back, I say it because I just mean it and feel it at that moment (well, every moment really).  I also don't simply say "I love you", I also say things like "I love being your Mama," or "I'm so glad you're my son," and "I'm such a lucky Mama." It means the same thing, only a little more specific.

So, how many times a day do let your child know you love them?  In words and actions?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... good question. I don't think that I say it as often as you do, but I know I say it at least a few times a day to each kid and I have a few more than you. So, if I had to guess... maybe 20 times total each day. Like you I never say it expecting it back, but always mean it when I say it, and it's always awesome when they do respond in kind (that's a little spotty with my teens though- part of being that age I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure with the teens you probably get "Yeah, I know mom." back on occasion, lol. I'm sure I'll reach a point with Jude where he's not so innocent in his responses, but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy them while they last!

    ReplyDelete