Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Kindle Fire Cover Tutorial

Okay, so I needed a case for my new Kindle Fire (love), but when we went shopping we found very few options for them.  Could be because it's still new and they haven't had time to come out with that many accessories, or it could be that other people just have horrible taste.  The only cover I found that I liked was over $40... call me crazy, but I didn't feel like spending that.

While on Pinterest I ran across a post for making your own Kindle cover via Come Together Kids.  I liked it because you can do so much with personalization that the chance of it being a one of a kind is pretty much guaranteed.  Also, cheaper, yes please.

If you visit the above link you'll get the basic how-to on it, but I've modified her design a bit so I'm going to throw those steps out for you here.


Okay, the first is that I didn't use quilted fabric, I used a super cute flannel print, and I used quilting batting to give extra protection for the kindle.  I cut two pieces to fit under both sides but made sure not to go into spine area of the book.  If you do that it'll make things too bulky.  I used the heat set batting and adhered it to the fabric prior to gluing the fabric down.  Oh, yeah, and I skipped all the bonding tape and just glued it all down.



Third, when it came to attaching the elastic on the "in use" side of the cover I cut small slits in the fabric where they would sit and tucked everything in so it was nice and clean.  The Virgo in me was not having the exposed ends on the original design.  I simply marked where I wanted them to go, used an exacto blade to cut, then squeezed the hot glue under and inserted the ends.




Next, I did the pocket different.  It is a separate piece all together.  I cut both the pocket and the flap out separately from the main backing.  I felt that I could get a more precise shape if I did it that way.  You have to get a little creative with the bottom corners, but if you fold them kind of like you would a paper fan, you can get a nice clean corner that still allows for your Kindle to fit comfortably.



Lastly, I added a top flap to the pocket.  I wanted something that would ensure that my Kindle wasn't going to slip out.  I used heat bonding velcro, just a tip though, make sure you place and ad-hear the velcro before using any hot glue.  If there is glue it'll melt and leave a kind of "grease" stain on the fabric.  You can also just glue the velcro on.  The nice thing about the fabric I picked is that it's porous enough to allow for a good bond with the glue without letting it ooze through.

Over-all tips, just measure everything before you cut, allowing for your hemming, and make sure your book is the right side up before you place the fabric... don't want to talk about it... oh, and make sure the book is thick enough to accommodate the batting and he Kindle.  The one I used is actually a bit small so the bulk shows, so I plan to do another one :)

So there you have it, my modified personalized Kindle Fire cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment